|Mac Client Related Information|
With the release of the LOTRO Mac Client (Beta Version) there are many overlapping areas of information between First time users and on-going activities. The information is split to improve readability.
- Problem resolution information!Mac Client Communications notes - Port Forwarding, UDP and other notes
- Problem resolution information!General Trouble Shooting Techniques
- File Locations - Where files reside and where you need to put things like Plugins, Skins and Music files.
- Messages - Screenshots of various messages generated by the Mac Client and an attempt to intuit their meanings and explain them.
- Known Issues -- A compilation of known problems with the Mac client.
- Gatekeeper Information -- Screenshots of Apple's Gatekeeper control panels and instructions.
- Steam Installation - Steam Installation notes
- Happy Cloud Installation - a description of the Happy Cloud Installer obsolete
Akamai NetSession Client
- On about 26 February, 2014, various cyber security firms warned that PMB had been hijacked to download the 'Pony Virus.'
- Shortly thereafter, Turbine eliminated the downloads of both the PC and Mac Clients for both the Live-game and Bullroarer.
- On approximately 10 March, 2014 -- for Update 21, DDO began using Akamai.com's NetSession Client to provide download for the DDO Client.
LOTRO Akamai Client Implementation
- Update 13 Release notes: (14 April 2014)
|With today’s release of Update 13: The Breaking of Isengard, we have introduced a replacement for our Pando-enabled client and downloader. We now use a non-peer-to-peer version of the Akamai NetSession client for the LOTRO launcher, and wanted to update you on how we plan to utilize this service in the future.|
|The Akamai NetSession client allows us to quickly and reliably deliver fresh LOTRO client installations to you, and assist in the repair of missing or corrupted files in current game installations. The client utilizes Akamai’s large network of edge servers to deliver this content to you from a location which is deemed geographically closest to you, and ensures that we are able to efficiently and effectively get you what you need to play LOTRO.|
|Although some versions of the Akamai NetSession client used by other software providers utilize Peer-to-Peer technology, we have decided not to use P2P for LOTRO. What this means is that Akamai NetSession will NOT use peer-to-peer when delivering LOTRO-related content.|
|Once you install the LOTRO client, or patch your game to Update 13, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall unless it is necessary to deliver a deleted file or a fresh installation. Typical game updates will not require the use of Akamai NetSession.|
- In reality, the Mac Client download uses the Happy Cloud system, which grabs its data from Akamai.
LOTRO Installation Notes
- File downloaded: LOTRO_MAC_4.46.pgk -- this is the Happy Cloud installer, not Akamai, but uses the Akamai network for data transfer
- Double-clicking on the .pkg file Requires Gatekeeper access
- Open System Prefrerences
- Open Security & Pricacy
- Note the message: 'LOTRO_MAC_4.46.pkg' was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer
- Click 'Open Anyway'
- installation will begin
- at this point, you can select a destination disk driver for the 20.3 MB install.
- See Mac Client Happy Cloud Installation for further details on the Happy Cloud.
DDO - Turbine's first implementation
- Note: these comments do not apply to the LOTRO Mac Client
- Posted by Cordovan: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437744-Known-Issue-Mac-Client-Update-(March-10th-2014)?p=5277096#post5277096
- Known Issue: Mac Client Update (March 10th, 2014)
|Players attempting to update their Mac DDO clients to Update 21 are encountering errors. The following workaround will allow our Mac users to update their game clients:|
|1) Close the Mac DDO Launcher when it gives the error that it can’t install Akamai Netsession.|
|2) Navigate to the folder the Akamai Netsession Installer downloads to: ~Applications/Akamai|
|This can be done by following these instructions:|
| a) Right-click or control click on the Finder icon and select “Go to folder”|
| b) In the box that pops up: type ~/Applications/akamai/|
| c) The netsession_installer.dmg will be in this folder. Double click on it, and it will open a new folder that has the Akamai Netsession Interface.pkg in it.|
| d) Run the Akamai Netsession Interface.pkg to install it.|
|3) After the Akamai Netsession Client installs, relaunch the game.|
|We are currently working on a more comprehensive solution to this issue, but this workaround will allow our Mac players to update their game launchers today. Thanks!|
- Following Step 3 above, DDO will continue to patch as expected.
Akamai Netsession Interface Installer
- Bug: NetSession will query you to download the High Resolution Data -- every time it is launched.
- If you already have the high resolution files down loaded, nothing happens.
- Note that this is the users Application folder, not the System Application folder.
- The running Akamai application is called 'netsession_mac'
Akamai Client file locations
All Akamai NetSession related files are stored in the
Akamai Netsession Interface Download UconnectUsers
Applications Folder (i.e. NOT in the System level /Applications folder). ~Applications/Akamai
- Contained in that folder is a 'readme.txt' file, a very good description of the NetSession Client, how it works and its interface.
- 'Akama NetSession Preferences' is installed in the in System Preferences panel.
Akamai Netsession Interface Download Mac High Sierra
Retrieved from 'https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php?title=Mac_Client_Akamai_Installation&oldid=654305'